Sunday, July 18, 2010

There is a silver lining to bad situations.

This is something that I have been repeating to myself for many weeks. I've been tested in a multitude of ways, which keeps me guessing what might be next. A relationship ending. My dad being in a traumatic car accident. My new work permit not getting approved, which prevented me from being at home with my family (The whining list stops here, I promise). To be honest, I'd never experienced such an intense feeling of alienation from home. It was difficult, and stressful to say the least. I suppose that it is one of the challenges of living abroad that I am fortunate enough to have not experienced before.

But this weekend has restored my faith in time working things out and pushing us forward - in particular Friday night. I made plans to go out with friends, picked out an outfit that I knew would turn my mood around and packed my camera to document it all. But before I made it downtown, JM called to see if I wanted to join him at his house for dinner. It was so wonderful to chat over a crisp white wine and good food. Of all my close friends, I feel like JM and I are typically on the same page and have the ability to comfort one another. Or at least that is the case for me. We talked about our general anxieties of being university graduates, family and all of the things that have brought us closer together over the last four years. There is one piece of the conversation that particularly resonates with me. JM said that the biggest shock has been discovering how resilient I am - it was the least imaginable quality for me to possess when he first met me.  

This has to be one of the greatest observations anyone has ever made about me, and at such a pivotal time. In the midst of being immersed in all that has happened lately, I've lost sight of all I've over come and my ability to persevere. But a truly great friend is in my life - just as things seem to be getting unbearable - to remind me of what I am oblivious to. It brings sweet tears to my eyes. He is the most wonderful person I know. He deserves much more gratitude that I am ever able to show.

No comments: