Friday, May 21, 2010

The Purple Satin Trench - A state of mind

I have always been a firm believer that in life, mental attitude is 85% of achieving what you want, or lack thereof. Having faith in yourself and your abilities is so fundamental. I mean, if you didn't believe something was possible, why would you bother?

One of my recent struggles has been finding a niche within my team at work. I was slightly discouraged because it seemed like every time I stepped up to the plate, those things got redelegated - and not to me. I thought, if this persists I will be utterly useless at work. Fabulous. But what bothered me more than anything else was the fact that my colleagues seemed to doubt my abilities and had not given me a chance to prove otherwise.

As I dwelled on this two nights ago, I similtaneously whined to K that I had no clue what to wear to work. She was prompt to bust open my closet, select the cream cashmere turtleneck and pair it with my purple satin trench coat. "There," she said. How chic, I thought, and why hadn't I thought of that?

Now, this trench is very special. I got it when I was home at Christmas, yet I today was the first day I wore it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fashion junkie. But this trench coat does not belong in Vancouver and I wasn't strong enough to not care. But with the help of a friend, my mind received the overdue reminder that I've always lived a bit off the beaten path. Why should fashion be an exception?

When I stepped out my door that next morning, I kept my chin up and felt great about being fabulous enough to do my own thing. This sentiment carried over to work, though in a different way. I felt strong enough to step up and be a stronger leader than I had been. I was confident. And it all came from a purple satin trench.

1 comment:

robyn michelle-lee @ this is life. said...

and you looked incredible! i love that trench!