Monday, February 15, 2010

A stitch in time

With determination and precision in mind, I set out to complete my textile project - a quilted pillow. I have a great appreciation for the art of quilting, especially since I am pursing this by hand. A broken sewing machine sits beneath my kitchen counter, and I try not to stare at it with contempt. It's difficult. But I seem to be getting even more annoyed with myself for looking for an easier, faster way to get things done - that's not really me. Efficient, yes but not cutting corners.

Having spent most of the weekend cutting out squares and triangles of identical size, and drawing lines to sew along, it is all about to be tested. Was I precise? I pin together pieces of fabric with my metallic coloured pins - making sure to pull out the pearl and pink ones first.

The needle is threaded and I focus intently on creating straight lines with it. Up and down. Up and down. Check to make sure everything is still lined up. Up down, up down, up down, up down. Stop. Cut. Tie off. A seam is created. Then another. And another. Soon a larger square takes shape and patterns collide - though not exactly in a kaleidoscope sort of way.

I bring together more pieces. There is something satisfying about creating. A feeling that can never come from a store bought good. Much the same feeling you get from homemade cookies. They are a labour of love.

No comments: