Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Self portrait update

I love Wednesday mornings. I don't have class until 2, so when I return from the gym I gather myself, and my cup of tea, and I draw. My antique kitchen table is consumed by pencil shavings, willow charcoal and water colours. Quiet music surfaces from the background, and luckily this week, there was no construction noise coming from next door.

I've been working on my self portrait project and I thought I would post what I've done so far (mind you, they are all works in progress). I guess I should also say a few words that speak to my motives as an artist. Yes, I could have pursued this project in about 50 different ways, but legs and shoes capture a lot of what Western culture defines as feminine. And while, I believe I amount to much more than all of those stereotypes, I liked the concept of capturing the self through the material. As well as the phrase, "walk a mile in someone else's shoes."

This one is of a sketch in my book. I'm going to draw my bare feet in one of the images. I've also just realized that the image I've uploaded needs to be rotated.

This is probably my favorite so far. I still have a bit of work to do on the details of the shoes. But I'm so pleased that I was able to get the foreshortening right on that one foot.


My runners. I often feel like these are the shoes that most personify my daily life. I'm always on the go, even if I'm not wearing these. Life is always in motion and you just have to keep up.


Of all my shoes, I think my oxford flats best capture me on the surface. I also felt like the leg position has a certain power of suggestion to it.


3 comments:

Brunch at Saks said...

Gorgeous drawings love! Your shading is impeccable! xoxo

bananas. said...

you got talent lady! my fav are the one with heels and running shoes. i'm usually in one or the other.

V. said...

Thanks, you gals are so sweet!