Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tuna Fish Spill

So many things have not gone according to plan in the last week, that all I can do is laugh in order to keep my sanity. Work has been a bit of a nightmare. Scheduling conflicts and a general inability to decide on a date for our staff meeting have consumed me. The number of emails I've got from my co-workers has been absurd. School has also been very busy. Nothing has going horribly wrong, but I seem to have acquired a kind of tunnel vision. Totally blind to everything else that is going on in the world. (Don't worry, I did hear about the earth quake in Haiti).

The icing on the cake? My tuna sandwich came undone in my bag on Monday. My new moleskin planner now smells like tuna! Gross! Now the smell of a disaster is following me around. Does anyone know how to get rid of a smell that has ingrained itself in paper? I've yet to come up with a solution yet. Not that my planner is near my nose very often.

Anyways, it made me think about how too often we carry around the bad parts of the past like they are in fashion. Sometimes I think it's difficult to let go of things that didn't go according to plan because they dwell on us like the smell of that tuna. How do you get rid of something so repulsive? With time of course, it fades away. New smells are acquired and more recent memories take over. But I wonder, how can we make sure that it's the good things, the better smells, that come forth?

At the moment I think it's a matter of our frame of mind. Sure there was plenty that went wrong leading up to the Tuna spill, but there was plenty that went right. I know that in my life, tragedies and drama stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe this is a new point for me. Reconstructing my memory and history. That means that the smell of tuna will now be synonymous with my change in mindset. So odd. . . .

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Every time you smell tuna you'll think of how you turned over a new leaf. Ah ha ha. Your poor moleskine!

V. said...

Moleskines aren't cheap either! Darn tuna