Sunday, January 10, 2010

A new poet to love

Another fond memory from the conference I attended yesterday, was the opening performer: Shane Koyczan. He is a Canadian spoken word poet and, apparently, well known (who knew?). He performed "Visiting Hours," which particularly resonated with me. There was a line in the poem that mentioned how we're meant to believe that we subsist individually, without help from others, without interaction. His poetic reply was that this is simply not true. We are meant to be close to others. And right now, I seriously wish I had a manuscript copy of the poem. I think to really get a good feel you have to watch/listen to his poems. You can find visiting hours here. This just got me to thinking about modern dating and relationships, and how whole-heartedly retarded they are. My generation believes that non-commitment is the way to go. That it's better to be distant. That we must suppress our feelings because god forbid we over share and speak something true. All this does is complicate our lives. I don't think anything needs to be more complicated than it is.

I thought I would end this mini-rant with a quote from Bridget Jones's Diary

"That's how it works, when people really love each other," Mum whispered on the way out in the Debenhams lift, as if she was confessing some hideous and embarrassing secret. "But, the thing is, darling, it doesn't happen to ones who have sharp edges, or break if they get dropped, or ones made of silly synthetic stuff that doesn't last. You have to be brave and let the other person know who you are and what you feel."


1 comment:

Kristin said...

Sage words from a mama!