Thursday, January 28, 2010

Fragments from Nightwood

I just got my copy for Nightwood back from Gina. Oh how I love this book! I get chills just thinking about it. I opened it to one of my favorite quotes, which I reread over and over again.

Oh for God's sweet sake, couldn't you stand not learning your lesson? Because the lesson we learn is always by giving death and a sword to our lover. You are full to the brim with pride, but I am an empty pot going forward, saying my prayers in a dark place; because I know no one love, I, least of all, and that no one loves me, that's what makes most people so passionate and bright, because they want to love and be loved, when there is only a bit of lying in the ear to make the ear forget what time is compiling. So I, Dr. O'Connor, say, creep by, softly, softly and don't learn anything because it's always learned of another person's body; take action in your heart and be careful whom you love - for a lover who dies, no matter how forgotten, will take somewhat of you to the grave. Be humble like the dust, as God intended. (155)


I think if I could only read one book for the rest of my life, it would be a toss up between Nightwood and The Sun Also Rises. Nightwood holds a particular place in my heart. The beginning is slightly challenging, but it is certainly the most rewarding book I've read in the last 5 years. It is tragic yes. Robyn manages to tear apart the lives 3 people who love her very much. But there is a sense of hope, that rebirth is possible.

This my other favorite quote.

Suddenly, she began to cry, holding her hands. "Matthew, she said, "have you ever loved someone and it became yourself?"
For a moment he did not answer. Taking up the decanter, he held it to the light.
"Robin can go anywhere, do anything," Nora continued, "because she forgets, and I nowhere because I remember." She cam towards him. "Matthew," she said, "you think I have always been like this. Once I was remorseless, but this is another love - it goes everywhere; there is no place for it to stop - it rots me away." (161)






On a small aside, be sure to check out Liz's blog giveaways this week!

No comments: