Friday, December 04, 2009

Language has utterly failed me

Sometimes I feel that language traps us. There is only so many ways to express something in English. Perhaps the way you choose makes sense to you, but what if the person you're communicating with doesn't understand it? What do we do when language becomes an inadequate form of expression?

I feel that this is a problem I encounter from time to time when writing on my blog, but also in everyday life. Often times I think I've worded something so perfectly, only to find out that I'm the only one who gets it. I think part of the complication of language comes from the complexity of how we form thoughts to begin with.
How did you arrive at the thing you want to express? To me this seems like one of those rabbit holes of a question. There could be a number of 'triggers,' but our emotions also complicate our views. Sometimes they make us stubborn and fixated on a position, other times they make us gullible. But the worst scenario is when the overwhelm you to the point that you cannot even make sense of what it is you want to say.

Case and point: my current attempts to reconcile a friendship. Words don't seem to be good enough for what it is I want to say. "I love you and care very deeply for you. I want to still be there for you." Even though it is the truth, it somehow sounds . . . cheap(?). Like anyone could come up with that. I need it to be more meaningful. Of course there are ways to make it sound more poetic, but is that the right tone? I'm beginning to think that there are times when we should use something other than language to communicate. But what? There is no other common denominator. Art can be interpreted freely, as can writing. And to a large extent, so can language.

The greatest paradox of all is this post.

No comments: