Thursday, December 10, 2009

I believe in you

Yesterday I had lunch with my roommate from last year, Sarah. She's wonderful and I'm so glad we've kept in touch. I haven't seen her at all this term, so there was lots to catch up on. We mostly talked about holiday plans and what we're doing after graduation in May. I gave her the updates that I'm taking a year off to become a Canadian. She, like most other people I know, was very happy to hear that I'm still going to be around even if I move east. She asked me what I'll be doing in my year off, so I started telling her about my interest in the corporate fashion world and how I am thinking of pursuing my pipe dreams for a bit. Most people sort of nod and think that I'm even more frivolous and materialistic than they thought, but Sarah truly surprised me with her reply. "Vanessa, I think you're going to go far. I just have a feeling."

Not only is this so encouraging, but there is something comforting about finding someone who has such great faith in you. It's an amazing feeling and I feel so lucky to have friends who motivate me in ways that I can't do myself. I mean sure, I have a lot of belief in what I will do in the coming years. Who doesn't? But this takes on a new meaning when those around you start to believe in you and vocalize their support. I'm inclined to believe that it means I'm on a good track, though I've yet to get evidence to support this. I'm even more excited about the upcoming year and to give everyone a reason to believe in me.

Lesson for today folks - thank those who believe in you and reciprocate the gesture. It's the greatest gift of all.

No comments: