Saturday, August 08, 2009

To Hope

To suffer woes which Hope thinks infinite;
To forgive wrongs darker than death or night;
To defy Power, which seems omnipotent;
To love, and bear; to hope till Hope creates
From its own wreck the thing it contemplates;
Neither to change, nor falter, nor repent;
This, like thy glory, Titan, is to be
Good, great and joyous, beautiful and free;
This is alone Life, Joy, Empire, and Victory.
Prometheus Unbound, Shelley


This has quickly become a favorite poem of mine, and is a particularly good stanza. I was very excited to see it on the exam today. There is so much to say about it, I never know where to begin. It encapsulates an important lesson that I am still trying to learn - to hope is the most powerful thing that we can do. To hope means to have faith in what will happen. Simply believing that what you are doing right now will pull you through to something greater. Sometimes I think that the most difficult thing to do is to have hope in yourself, especially when you falter. But I'm trying to keep in mind the long term, upward trend, which is why I am going to hope.

No comments: