Monday, August 10, 2009

The simple, good life

At the out set of 2009, I told myself that everything was going to be better this year. So far it has been. The twists and turns of the last seven months have taught me a lot about myself, and for the first time in a long time I feel like I am standing firmly on my own two feet. I also told myself that it was the beginning of a simple, good life. I was/am single and have time to focus on pulling my life together. Especially in the last couple of weeks, I've realized the many perks of being single. Mostly that I am under no obligation to anyone else, it's a very liberating feeling. I'm getting off track . . . so besides this startling revelation, I have been working on simplifying my life. It started off with creating a short list of things that are important to me.
- Family & friends
- Academics
- Creating - mostly writing & pottery
- My health - esp running
- Being successful at work

I've thought a lot about what this list means to me. Essentially these are things that I want to make time for, the reasons why I am trying to untangle the messy periphery all the things I do. I believe this list reflects my desire to be well-rounded and touches on a lot of the long-term goals that I have for myself. Things like going to law school, having my own law firm, running a half-marathon, and being an amateur writer. Mind you these categories are pretty broad, encompass a couple of sub-headings each. But what I am finding more challenging than deciding what to put on this list, is deciding how to restructure the rest of life to make it all happen.

I think the biggest change for me is going to be using my time more wisely. Most people I know probably don't know this, but I procrastinate. Not in the sense that most students do, like putting off writing a paper, but just not focusing. However, as I've reflected more on why/how I have chosen what is important in my life, I have mustered up motivation that I didn't know I had. Suddenly seeing the bigger picture has already realigned a lot in my mind, which is exactly what I was hoping for. The next task I have is decluttering my life, literally. I've gone through tons of paper that I have held on to for the last three years, and I now have a pile about 8 inches tall that is ready to be recycled. I have also reorganized my desk drawers. Hurray! Next week I think I am going to tackle my closet. I expect that I will be writing about this more, as I will have lots to say about this uncharted territory.

No comments: