Thursday, August 20, 2009

A little of this, a little of that

A few things that I am currently obsessed with
: bobby pins and hair barrettes
: studying for the LSAT (and possibly succeeding)
: peanut butter
: the lovely fall color of rusty, orange red
: olives, esp the ones at Pane E Formaggio
: yoga
: fruit salad
: These boots
: my calender, or maybe just time management (I'm not certain which it is)
: This pottery
: all that is good in my life, which is quite a lot

---------------------------------

On a strange aside, this afternoon I was at a street corner downtown on my way to my LSAT class when I was ambushed by one of those evil canvassers. If only I had had half my sense in that moment I would have kept walking. This man in a hideous neon green shirt approached me and said, "You look like a lady who liked to save money." I told him I wasn't interested but he insisted on talking until the cross walk light changed, which felt like a gazillion years. At first I felt sorry for this guy, especially since I'm sure I am not the only one who attempts to avoid him. But, then I thought about his opening line. What does that mean? That I look frugal? Well, that's nothing short of insulting. Even though I can think of ways that someone might look cheap, I don't think that that necessarily implies that they like to save money. Still I cannot even fathom how that definition could be applied to me.

I'm more boggled by the fact that I have become the victim of a backhanded comment twice this week. I don't know what has made me more alert, and I would hate to think that I've been naive towards that kind of slander for so long. I have a sneaking suspicion that I have also become more critical because of my LSAT studying - it is truly taking over my life.

2 comments:

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

ah, we are obsessed with so many of the same thing! I'm digging yoga- and always digging bobby pins.

Vanessa said...

That's so cool! I've be doing yoga on and off for a while, but in the last month I've gotten back into it.

ps - I really enjoy reading your blog Chelsea. It's very funny, and so much of it is stuff I can totally relate to.