Thursday, August 06, 2009

Discipline

This morning while I was running I got to thinking about discipline. There are some areas of my life where I feel that I am totally in control, like my health. I run six days a week and have virtually rid myself of asthma problems. But then there is school, which I love, and can't for the life of me understand why my discipline ebbs and flows so irrationally. Well maybe not irrationally, just often. I think what I find frustrating about academics is a lot of it is out of my control. For instance, getting a B on paper that I feel extremely proud of and feel that it was a reflection of my capabilities is hard to take. It's one of those moments where you either get hung up on it or you let it roll off your shoulders. Unfortunately I'm not the type to let a bad performance go so easily. It usually eats away at me and probably affects anything else I do.

The other day I was sitting at my desk at home thinking about this school year and how important it is to me. I have goal that is less than a year from coming true and it's mine for the taking. I think this means not taking marking so personally. Of course getting high marks is extremely important to me, but I can't let one derail my mentality. I just have to dust off my shoulders and carry on. I think this is something important for me to keep in mind while I'm studying for the LSAT. I'm a bit frustrated at the moment with my performance in reading comprehension, but the good news is that I have well over a month to work hard and improve. I definitely can't get any worse, though I'm not sure that is a comforting thought. All I have to do is step up my game and kill this exam.

No comments: