Friday, July 31, 2009

Roadtrip Thursday

Yesterday brought a lot of unexpected twists and turns - all of them great. I took a trip to Washington to do some shopping with Allen. So much fun! We randomly decided to continue our drive down to south to Seattle. Lucky for me the Nordstrom half yearly sale was still on. I tried on some ridiculous shoes. The hot pink patent leather ones from Guess definitely took the cake. Even in the sweltering heat I enjoyed the lovely city of Seattle. In thinking about where I would like to go to law school, Seattle is definitely some place that I am going to keep in mind.

Allen and I were probably in the car for the same amount of time that we spent shopping, though it was just as nice. We talked about all sorts things, including religion and my recent ventures with it. For the last 21 years I have known myself to be agnostic about religion but for whatever reason I have started questioning my stance on the subject. I've gone to church a couple of times this summer in an effort to fairly evaluate my views. I mean I've had certain views, which were largely influenced by my parents, but I realized that I'd never been to church before, so how could I say that I don't like it. It's similar to the way that I'd felt about vegetables up until a year ago. I hated them but never actually tried most of them. Now I cook with them a lot and enjoy their taste. Sure it might be a rudimentary comparison, but they have their points of intersection.

There are a couple of things that complicate religion for me. The first being that I'm still not entirely sure I believe in God. I think it's as plausible as evolution or the Big Bang theory. I fall into an undecided category and I'm not sure what it would take to place me on one side or the other. Secondly, I'm not a fan of the concept of organized religion. I think it's great to have beliefs and faith, but I don't think going to church is requisite to having them. Thus it appears to me that the first problem is what I'm more at odds with. Perhaps it is one of those things that I will wonder about through out my life in varying intensities.

No comments: