Thursday, July 09, 2009

Moving time (again)

Despite the fact that I just moved at the end of April, I find myself looking for a new apartment already. I think I was overwhelmed by a lot of factors that led to the very hasty decision of where I am currently living. Fortunately I've learned a lot of from the ramifications of this situation. The situation being that I have the landlords for hell, well actually Albania, but that's beside the point. We saw the property in an unfinished state because it's brand new, which gave them ample chance to miss represent the space. But I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt by admitting that my imagination may have run off with me as to what the final product would look like. Though I'm not sure that it was far fetched to imagine that a kitchen has non-bar sinks and a stove. Regardless, there were many perks to this space. Not only is it close to campus, the rent is very reasonable and I'm living with my friends.

The past 4 months however, have been anything but pleasant. I've expended as much energy into landlord issues as I have to my schoolwork. My dad pointed out the reality of the situation to me about a month ago. "A bad boss rarely gets better," he told me, "in your case though it's a bad landlord." It's true though. Who wants to be subjected to problems that have a solution? Albeit, moving is a hassle. What amazed me the most was how much I was willing to tolerate before I put my foot down.

Even though this tenancy has been awful, I've managed to derive some lessons from it.
1. People value professionalism. Based on my landlord's lack thereof, I've come to realize just how important it is even beyond business. Respect derives from it.
2. Re-evaluate your toleration line. I knew I was tolerant, though it was for all the wrong reasons. It's important to stand up for yourself because no one else can do it for you.
3. Letter writing is an effective means of communication. Sometimes words and meaning gets lost in verbal conversation. The passion and emotion of the moment can overwhelm us, but having it in writing will cover your bum in the future.
4. Be objective. I can't even count the number of times that I've reflected on events and listed this one. What's more surprising is that I still haven't got it. I think it's because we are so inextricably linked our emotions, and I'm beginning to believe that there maybe a greater reason for that.

No comments: