Saturday, June 20, 2009

Midday



"when you are imagining you might as well imagine something worth while" - Anne of Green Gables

I find myself often planning my life based on worst case scenarios. I imagine the worst of a lot of everyday occurrences. Forgetting a deadline. Breaking a heel. Being late, for anything. Sometimes optimism is hard to come by, and lately I have been trying to think of ways to keep maintain the flame. What is the kindle for optimism? I used to think that it was just a matter of believing in oneself, having the poise and confidence to carry on through thick and thin. Given the state of the world, as well as my own general foolery, I find myself wondering if I'm strong enough to pull myself through the next so many years. I think that all I can do is prepare for anything and everything, not pigeon holing myself into a particular lifestyle or career. Perhaps being optimistic comes from working hard. Then again that could take us back to the notion of confidence. But the idea of circularity is interesting. Maybe optimism, like everything else in life goes though cyclical phases, and it is only a matter of time before I regain mine.

No comments: