Thursday, June 04, 2009

The start of something new

A new summer project: compiling a book of favorite quotations, speeches, and words.

Before I embark on this project, I've been trying to hone a theme in order to eliminate this turning into a hodge podge of disaster. It is difficult to decide because I have so many interests in life. so many things that inspire me. I think I am going to proceed by collecting the pieces that I like and then tackling some sort of arrangement. It must have a flow. I think the most difficult decision will be selecting the first and last quote. Their places give them a lot of power. I like a quote from Shakespeare's Triolus and Cressida. It goes "While others fish with great craft for great opinion, I with great truth catch mere simplicity" (4.4.101-102). I also like this one, "This is the monstruosity in love, lady - that the will is infinite and the execution confined; that the desire is boundless and the act a slave to limit" (3.2.75-78). My dad also gave me some advice a while back that I feel is appropriate to quote here, "Good things rarely happen by accident."

In my mind, there is something really nice about having an actual book of these things that I love so much. I suppose I will just have to see where this project takes me. I hope that it leads to a Benjamin-like montage, though this means that I will have to inject my own voice on to the pages.

No comments: