Friday, June 26, 2009

Replacing something old with something new

I bought new runners today. This is something that I've been saying I would do for about 4 months now. There is something refreshing about a new pair of running shoes. Although I love my old ones, I've had them for almost two years and had seen better days. As I starred at the sprawling wall of shoes, I was overwhelmed by the choices. Luckily the saleswoman was very knowledgeable. Not only that, she also made sure that they are pink!

This whole experience got me thinking about the idea of replacement. In life, do we simply go about replacing the familiar in order to maintain consistency? Even when we claim that we are making changes, how different are they really? Immediately my mind jumped to the health and physical changes that I've made in last 3 years. I've lost about 60 pounds and have never been in such good physical shape. At times of course, I slip up but looking at this from a long term perspective, I've been consistent. Though as I sit at my desk typing, I'm also thinking about this in terms of men. I've been dating since I was 16 and thinking about all of these guys, they are distinctly different, which makes me inclined to believe that I'm not just replacing an old ex-boyfriend. However, maybe my pattern is that I keep replacing that old ex-boyfriend with the wrong guy. What an awful thought! I maintain consistency by dating the wrong men, perpetuating a cycle of drama and heartache. Would it be so radical if I did date a decent guy? The more disappointing facet of this revelation is that I don't even know where I would find this decent guy. At least in purchasing my runners I had the help of a trained professional.

No comments: