Friday, May 22, 2009

The intertwining of family and goals

Family is great. They are the people who know you the best, and those most likely to stick with you in the future. My life consists of two families, my biological one and my self-made one. I value both for different reasons. While my family has known me for a long time, my self-made family has known me during a pivotal point in my life. It is the time when I would say that I have grown the most and become my most organic self. I have not only defined myself, but I have also defined my ambitions. Both families are encouraging of the road that I am going down, and today was a reminder for me as to just how much family believes in me. My aunt and uncle are in town, and while we caught up on each others lives, we discussed my plans for grad school. I was telling them that I have been exploring other options besides law. My uncle told me that law is a wonderful track in which I can do so much. Regardless of that, his support for my goals was overwhelming. It reminded me that he knows me, and more importantly my abilities, better than I do. And is what I love about them.

The other thing that I have come to remember recently about goals is the power of knowing someone who is where you want to be. Take my friend Jen for example. She recently graduated valedictorian of her law school class. Her persistence and dedication to excellence in her education is something that I take to heart; something that I want to carry out in my own life. And so I've come to believe that in working towards your goals there is nothing more important than having a net of people who believe in you and having a materialized concept of where you want to be. But above that, make sure that you pay homage to those in your life who inspire and shape you to be who you are.

No comments: