Saturday, May 16, 2009

Connections

Last night definitely disproved Benjamin's theory that planning is the best way to capture the essence of the night. In fact, on some reflection, I think most of the best nights have been the antithesis of planned. Wonderful food at Lift and dancing at The Modern defined Friday night. It was the first time in a while that I have gone dancing, and I had definitely forgot how much I enjoy it. What I appreciate more about it though was the great conversations at dinner. It's amazing how quickly we are able to bond with people we don't know, and I wonder why I don't do it more often. I often think that my insecurities about my weight and general self-consciousness are unique to me. Mostly because it is just strange that having lost weight, I'm more unsure of myself than I every had been before. But as we sipped gin martinis, we talked about boys and how we often come across cold. My own understanding of it is not deep by any means, but after discussing it for bit, I was overcome with a sense of reassurence. The addage is true, we are never truely alone on this journey. Knowing that a random stranger faces many of the same difficulties in her life, makes me question why and how I exist so disconnectedly in the world. It gives me this sense that I should get to know everyone; like there's some larger experience of life that I am missing out on. I suppose the only way to know this for sure is to befriend more people.

No comments: