Monday, February 09, 2009

the valentine

At Brownies tonight we made Valentines and roses from Hershey's kisses. One of the girls came up to me at the end of the meeting and gave me the ones that she had made. It's so adorable and so kind of her! It really made my day, and maybe what surprised me most of about realizing that was that the pick-me-up came from a 7 year old. This simple, random act of kindness really got me thinking about why I'm often so demanding about what I constitute as happy moments in my life. I had plenty of them today. The print room was actually open this morning. I bough a couple of used books. I was also able to make JM's day by giving him photos that I took of him. I'm inclined to think that it's a problem of being raised in a culture where we're taught that more is better and material surpasses all else. Yet the Valentine that Lorraine gave me, made me feel more special than any article of clothing I could put. In fact, knowing that she's thought of me means more that getting attention from any of the boys that I'm pining after at the moment. It's reminding me to keep my priorities straight.
It's also a good check point for me to get back on track to my optimism of last month. Well I suppose that it never really faded away, but rather it was tested at times. I have to say that I'm still much better off than at any point last year. Not only have I had plenty of happy moments, but I have lots of love in my life. And that's enough to make me complete.

No comments: