Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Not so Mundane Mondays

This has been a particularly good week so far, and it's only Tuesday. Yesterday I was in The Boulevard and low and behold Rowan (the law school boy) was there. After getting my coffee and settling down at my table across the coffee shop, I realized that I should probably talk to him. I then began to panic, I mean I haven't had that many conversations with him but this was also another window of opportunity to be proactive about my dating life. My solution to this was to get a glass of water and then walk by his table. So I did. He smiled at me and I nearly felt myself freeze completely. He asked how I was and how my Christmas break was and about my classes were this semester. Nothing beyond the trivial but that was okay. I don't think I had enough of a grasp over myself to say anything of substance. Inevitably there was a lull in the conversation and I said, "Well I'd better get back to work," and shamefully walked back over to my seat.
I couldn't believe that I didn't say anything like, "Oh we should hang out sometime." Karoline, who witness this entire thing from another table at The Boulevard, immediately text messaged me to ask what was said. I was shaking and told her nothing. After a good ten minute pep talk, she convinced me that I had to go over there and give him my number. I felt like a fool going up to him again, but knew I would be disappointed in myself if I didn't. So I went back for another glass of water with my name and number in hand and stopped at his table once again and said, "You know, we should really hang out sometime." He replied, "Definitely." Karoline told me that he had a smile on his face as I walked away, but I don't know if it was sincere happiness or smirking at my forwardness and general immaturity. Regardless, I was proud of myself even though it took Karoline putting me up to it. I have to say though that the best part was a little while after that, he came up to me as he was leaving and said, "I'm off, but I'll call you soon." All I could really do was smile, but I found it in myself to nod and say goodbye.

No comments: