Wednesday, January 14, 2009

keeping the focus

Today was interesting lesson in maintaining focus. I noticed that after all of yesterday's good news, I was a bit dazed about everything else. While everything that happened was great, I caught myself relaxing a bit and taking a "break." Unfortunately this is like the least ideal time to take a mental vacation. In fact, this is the time for me to put my game face on and keep trucking. I think that the healthy way to take in yesterday is to realize that I'm achieving my short-term goals in works and my personal life, but they have not pushed me closer to academic goals nor have they helped me immediately attain the big picture. Therefore it's necessary to get right back to work and so that I can achieve what it is that I want out of life. Current, that is to work extremely hard this semester and get and 80% average. In the immediate future, I'd like to have a solid understanding of the English book I'm working on. It's quite baffling; Nightwood by Barnes.
I also met up with one of my friends for the first time since the new term started. We usually have bi-weekly coffee dates and besides having known each other since first arriving at UBC, we share a common goal of getting into law school. I noticed in talking to him today that he may not have the kind of attitude or outlook that I want to place myself in proximity to. Mark Twain once said, "Keep away from those who would belittle your ambition - the truly great will make you believe that you too can become great." And it's not that he doesn't believe in me persay, but he is rather pessimistic about the prospect of his achieving them. I know it might be a bit ridiculous for me to be letting someone on the outside affect my happiness, and maybe that's always been a part of the problems I've dealt with. What I do know is that it's taken me a long to to work up the momentum that I have for my goal of law school and I don't want anything jepordizing it. Needless to say, I think I might be cutting back my face time with him.

No comments: