Saturday, December 13, 2008

Wrapping up another year in Vancouver

And so the saga continued yesterday. He finally came over to talk to me, in fact he even sat at my table. Right after he sat down, he said to me, "This is really silly, but I don't even know your name." Finally!!! So his name is Rowan. The chat that we had was a bit awkward, mostly because I just didn't know what to say and I was trying to avoid turning into my chatty, freak self. As adorable as he is, there is one slight problem in this situation. We didn't actually exchange phone numbers, which makes it difficult for me to see him again. I can already say that during the first week back at school I will probably be spending inappropriate amounts of time (and money) at the Boulevard just to increase my chances of "running into him" again. I really do want to get to know him, and he seems to want to get to know me, so why not? I was considering the possibility of adding him on facebook, but that is fundamentally against everything I believe in. I'm not a coward or a stalker, and thus I will patiently wait until I see him again. And in the event that I never see him again, it won't be entirely tragic.
Anyhow, last night was Karoline's birthday party. It was a bit underwhelming. I think we were all just so tired that the energy level was a bit low. None the less, I think it was a good way to end a very, um, bizarre term. But things are going to be even better for me since I'm going home tomorrow. It's going to be well needed time and space away from university.
The question that I've been thinking a lot about recently is when did sexual orientation became the buzz amongst my group. Maybe it's always been an underlying issue but lately it is all we seem to talk about these days. Sure, I guess it's a relevant topic, but is it really anyone else's business? I'm very quickly coming to the conclusion that it is in fact not. More ironically though is the way that it seems to be complicating my life. I don't know why I'm letting it get in the way of my happiness. As much as that may seem selfish, I know what my orientation is, and in my mind that's where the line in the conversation should be drawn. There's nothing further for me to sort out and I think that I'm complicating my own life by trying to accept other people's decisions and trying to be supportive to the wrong people. It's funny, sexual orientation never used to be a big deal in my mind, but suddenly it seems to be blown out of proportion several times over. Anyways, I'm sincerely hoping that I can get back to my original mind set of accepting everyone's decisions and carrying on with my life, without thinking twice about.

No comments: