Sunday, December 14, 2008

Same Problems, Different Locations

On my flight back home today, I actually managed to befriend the guy who was sitting next to me. He was from Italy and on vacation. We talked for a while, he seemed really nice. Anyways at one point he turns to me and says, "you know it's quite funny how I ended up on vacation in San Francisco." Apparently it was originally a trip he was planning on taking with his ex-girlfriend who loves San Francisco but they broke up and he still had the ticket. And that he had another friend who was relocating to San Francisco so they planned their trips overlap. We talked mostly about traveling, especially about traveling by yourself and how different it is. He was telling me that the best part about the trip was the time way from home. There's a very different sense of awareness that comes from leaving where you're from and going somewhere else. I think that is what I have been experiencing in Canada. I think that it has been the most learning and reflecting that I've ever done about myself and it's an experience that I would not trade for the world. Back to the conversation. So I told him that it was kind of ironic because I was thoroughly looking forward to going home after the unfolding of my last break up. It's interesting that strangers meet randomly, only to discover that they are engaged in the same problems. I often wonder that if I talked to more people that I don't know, say around campus, if the same thing would be true. Well I suppose by default that since we're all students, we're bound to be having the same problems. Anyways the point is, that if we are all sharing very similar realities, then why do we act like we are all so different?

No comments: