Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Reflection on the Election

It's very surprising to me that the California voters shot down so many of the billion dollar bond propositions on the ballot yesterday. For a state that notoriously spends, I think it indicates a real change in mind set. I think that it may have come from them finally making a connection that the government pulls that money for projects like a $19.2 billion high speed train from the residents' pockets. Sadly, I think, that for so long people assumed the government was magically coming up with money. But in this time of economic hardship, people are more conscientious of their own spending habits as well as the government's. It makes me a bit more optimistic that California still has hope to be a conservative state.
I think that I was most surprised that the majority of people voted yes on proposition 8. This essentially defines marriage as between a man and a woman, and will not recognized homosexual marriages. I thought for sure everyone would vote no on that on. Although I have yet to look up the statics of the turn out, I'm sure it was low, even in such a hyped election. But maybe it was because of that hype that it drew out a slightly different demographic. I voted, and that's what's most important to me.

No comments: